The Weirdest Museum You Will Ever Go To… Maybe

Right off the bat the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) in Hobart, Australia, is different. First of all, it is accessed best by a pink army print ferry that is a little bit Great Gatsby themed on the inside, with gold velvet couches, a chandelier and a bar. When you get off the ferry there’s not a clear indication of where to go, but eventually you wander through a tennis court and into the main entrance.

The MONA is the world’s largest private museum and is argued to be the most controversial private collection of modern art in the world. It has been called a ‘subversive adult Disneyland’, which I agreed with almost immediately. You would never expect such a controversial and forward museum to be in the tiny state of Tasmania.

Here are some of the best and weirdest things to see at the MONA:

image

It’s pretty typical to see someone driving a Porsche with an inflated head, but only at the MONA can you see a regular sized head driving an inflated Porsche.

The sounds of a choir dressed in their very best raincoats.

image

Some sad little gold fish (don’t worry they’re safe… I think).

image

Water that can spell.

image

A real live tattoo man.

This live exhibit that seriously played the whole time we were there…

image

Bacteria pooping (for real).

This is only a small portion of what there is to see at the MONA… a very small and strange portion that can only truly be experienced in person.

The MONA is the type of museum that would even be shocking to your most creative friend, who wears too much eye liner, from New York City. Seriously it is so weird, and easily the best art gallery I’ve been to. I would never have expected an art museum like this to be in tiny Hobart, Australia, but that’s where it is, so go visit it!

17 Comments Add yours

1. Australia is so beautiful

1. Check out my blog when you get thw chance 🙂

2. Globetrotter says:

Wow! I have never heard of the MONA before. I will definitely have to get there at some point!

Liked by 1 person

3. Great post! Went to MONA, very cool. Love the markets at Hobart too. Could sit at tricycle cafe all day….

4. Australia is so great ^^

Liked by 1 person

5. Awesome. Must visit MONA if I go to Hobart!

6. vinneve says:

Wow! I learned something today 🙂 I have been to many parts of OZ but not in Hobart 😦 if I get a chance I will visit this Mona,thanks!

7. Carol Lim says:

Your comments make me want to visit. Great job

8. drdblogs says:

Worth the trip to Tassie on its own! I loved it and great post.

9. Amazing Museum Never heard before….Would love to go there once 🙂

10. Vicki Garside says:

Who would have through that Tassie would be hiding one of the best art galleries in the world?! The place looks incredible – and all the more-so because it is a little ‘different’!

11. Marteen says:

I love that this museum is different! I’d go just to take a ride on the pink ferry 😂

Liked by 1 person

12. Mona seems to be gaining a huge reputation in the art world today. I have never been to the museum but you see and hear it mentioned in the Australian media regularly. When we get to tassie it will be on our list for a visit

13. John says:

What an interesting looking museum – I’d have no idea Hobart is home to something so cool 🙂

14. rosieg says:

I loved MONA, it’s one of my favourite museums in the world! Reading this post made me very happy 🙂

15. aquacompass7 says:

Thank you for stopping my blog.

16. This looks great! I love museums that try to break the mould