7 Tips For Taking The Perfect Kangaroo Selfie

It’s basically impossible to visit Australia and not come back with a kangaroo selfie, but the art of the kangaroo selfie is not as easy as it looks. After lots of trial and error, I have compiled some of my top tips on how to take the perfect kangaroo selfie:

11896169_10101246825549616_2292893000448772037_n.jpg

#1. Don’t freak out when the model bites your hand. Models get hangry… it’s not their fault!

IMG_20150502_120940.jpg

#2. Plan your faces and poses in advance. I clearly thought we were doing the smile and look cute selfie, while he clearly thought we were doing the stick your tongue out and make a funny face selfie. A little planning could have avoided this whole fiasco.

IMG_20150826_153326.jpg

#3. Make sure the talent is actually looking at the camera. Stars are high maintenance; you have to be ready when they’re ready.

IMG_20150502_121729.jpg

#4. Sometimes your model gets bored and hops off mid-selfie. It’s really a hazard of the job, so keep lots of treats in your pocket to entice your model back.

11209501_10153270263433564_2203386603614352507_n

#5. Casting is everything. Pick a kangaroo that actually looks like a kangaroo so that you don’t end up in a situation like this, where everyone thinks that your kangaroo selfie is an alpaca selfie. #KANGAROOSELFIEFAIL

#6. Trained professionals are best. If you go for the spontaneous wild kangaroo selfie you could end up getting your butt kicked like me.

11894479_10101246825235246_8966635599734159706_o.jpg

#7. Don’t get discouraged! The kangaroo selfie involves a lot of trial and error, but with a little practice you’ll be a pro in no time! One day, you might even be able to master the kangaroo group selfie… but that’s a whole other post.

Have you taken a kangaroo selfie? Tell me about it in the comments below!

*Note: Remember to always treat animals with respect and only take selfies with consenting kangaroos. 😉

20 Comments Add yours

1. Globetrotter says:

Hahaha, some of those pictures are hilarious. The kangaroo really does look like an alpaca! I will be sure to use these tips when trying to capture the perfect animal selfie. Thanks!

2. Carol Lim says:

Great funny tips. Thanks for sharing your kangaroo selfie collection.

3. findingnyc says:

How fun! What a great experience, and your photos are really cool.

4. Ragnhild says:

Wow, you are son lucky!! I hope I’ll get as good pictures as you when I visit Australia next month. Great post by the way:)

1. Jessica Lim says:

Don’t worry there is seriously no chance that you won’t have the opportunity to have a kangaroo selfie! Just make sure you visit the sanctuaries. 🙂

5. Hammad Rais says:

Wow! This is indeed so amazing. Too bad there are no kangaroos in my city but there is are couple of ostriches in a nearby park. May be I should try a selfie with them 🙂

1. Jessica Lim says:

Haha that would make a great selfie!

Liked by 1 person

6. I have a bunch of them on my phone after we newly got back after a month in Australia. We went to a small nice park where you can feed the kangaroos, and one of them was so cuddly and I sat down with it for several minutes. He hold my hand while eating, licked my arm and tried to get a kiss. A perfect kangaroo selfie opportunity.

Liked by 1 person

7. You are fun! My Mom left Alberta for Seattle in 1929 at 19.My long-lost relatives, now in Vancouver, have invited me back and hope to go if I can ever clear my plate, right now preparing to publish a book. Thanks for the like, I’ll enjoy following your blog.

8. Monika says:

You’ve managed to take quite a lot of good shots!

9. Vicki Garside says:

Haha! Fun Post! You took some great shots! Well done 0 and thanks for the tips – i’ll keep them in mind on my next kangaroo selfie hunt!

Liked by 1 person

10. Hahaha this is awesome! I once went to a deer farm as well but yeah…practicing the art of taking selfies with animals is VERY hard. :)) These tips are really cool tho. Will try them out next time 😉

11. Aileen says:

Hahaha this is awesome! I once went to a deer farm as well but yeah…practicing the art of taking selfies with animals is VERY hard. :)) These tips are really cool tho. Will try them out next time ;D

Liked by 1 person

12. This is adorable. I have a string of kangaroo selfies too – it took FOREVER but was totally worth it to get the best shot without bothering the ‘roos too much 🙂

Liked by 1 person

13. Cute topic, taking selfie photos with kangaroos. Love it.

Liked by 1 person

14. I enjoyed visiting your blog and will be following you. Very unique, nice job.

15. sl4lifestyle says:

So sweet, love it! Greetings from Germany.
    Sabine