Jumping Crocs

The life jackets were locked up, not needed; we were told that if the boat sank there would be a 0% chance of survival. Our “tour guide” was a man who lived in isolation in the Australian bush and cooked his meals by fire. He carried a knife and a gun on his belt in case any unwanted intruders decided to come on-board. We were in Darwin, the only place in the world where you can see jumping crocodiles, and we were on one of four boats in the world that had a license- our boat happened to be the smallest of the four.

We were warned of a few things before hand. Walk one at a time to the boat, and don’t stop or put any body parts over the jetty because hundreds of crocodiles were watching us. While on board, do not put any body parts outside of the boat. Do not stand up unless told to because if the crocodiles figured out that there were people on board, they would overtake the boat and drag us off. In the last few years, there had been quite a few crocodile related deaths in Darwin and one of them was where we were.

As the boat left the jetty, crocodiles started appearing all around the boat and followed us. They associate the sound of the boat with food- which is actually not great if the boat breaks down. I was excited to be there but also anxious to get back to land without our small boat sinking. We ended up having the best seats and the crocodiles were literally millimetres away from me as they jumped to catch their food.

Here are some pictures and videos I took from the tour:

IMG_20150907_094018
Our Small Boat

IMG_20150907_085926

IMG_20150907_085840

IMG_20150907_090224

IMG_20150907_084955

IMG_20150907_090450

IMG_20150907_085753

IMG_20150907_094742
With our tour guide

We ended up making it back safe and sound to the jetty, with only one minor incident when my Dad stuck his arm over the boat for a second and the whole boat screamed. Luckily he didn’t get eaten by the giant crocodile that lived under the jetty, whose girlfriend was swimming around the boat. That would have been a bad end to the tour.

If you’re interested in going on this tour, we booked it as part of a day trip with Litchfield Escapes. This day trip is a great way to see the crocs and experience a day in Litchfield National Park if you do not have a car. If you want to just go on the Jumping Crocodile Cruise it is possible if you have a car, and is about 1hr and 15min outside of Darwin. There are a few crocodile cruises in the area along the Adelaide River, so make sure you go to Adelaide River Cruises where you can experience the crocs up close on the small boat…. unless you’re scared.

20 Comments Add yours

1. stayyoungbro says:

Oh! You had such a nice trip, which was so exciting and thrill. I saw the pictures of the crocodiles that you posted and relapsed into the reverie of being bitten by it’s strong and scary teeth unavoidably. And another important point added, there were so many crocodiles at there!! I can hardly quench my desire to take a trip to there!

Liked by 1 person

1. Jessica Lim says:

It is definitely worth the trip to see the crocodiles! Hope you get there one day!

2. I did a similar tour in Cooinda several years ago. Fascinating trip! Gary

Liked by 2 people

1. Jessica Lim says:

Yes the wildlife in Australia is amazing!

3. W o W this is really wild nature!

4. I spent a month in the outback and was taught much about the aboriginal way of life. I took 80 rolls of slide film and wrote a book.

Liked by 2 people

1. Jessica Lim says:

Wow that’s amazing! I’m planning on creating a book too with all my photography from my 2 years in Australia. It won’t be ready for another year, as I’m still in Australia, but once it is I’ll post the link to it in my blog. Thanks for reading my post!

1. I spent a month in the outback learning​ the aboriginal ways, had​ a great time. Here is a link to my book, it may give you some ideas! http://www.amazon.com/Aborigines-Australia-Small-Traveler-Returns/dp/1514119714/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

2. Jessica Lim says:

Cool thanks! And thanks for checking out my blog!

5. wekatabti says:

Good to see you got some money shots of the crocs, and some videos to boot!

6. Looks like we went to the same place! 🙂

1. Jessica Lim says:

Yes it looks like we did. Did you enjoy it?

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh yes, tremendously. I went on the Croc Cruise twice! In retrospect, I was fortunate that I didn’t encounter and mishaps. Poked my head out of the boat to take a picture. 😦

Liked by 1 person

7. Laurenod.x says:

Great post – sounds scary!

Liked by 1 person

1. Jessica Lim says:

Thanks! It was a little scary but mostly fun!

Liked by 1 person